It doesn't matter either way. Right now, since there's so much to upload still, as long as images get categorized into the correct places, it's good.--immewnitythemew 17:41, 27 December 2012 (PST)
- Alright, sounds good.--immewnitythemew 17:46, 27 December 2012 (PST)
On MarioWiki, I know that you guys compress for the smallest file size, and we sort of do that here, just not with JPEG files. Unlike PNG, TIFF, PSD, and even GIF, JPEG is a lossy format, which means that it obtains a smaller file size by sacrificing quality. There is no way for a JPEG to retain, pixel for pixel, the exact same image as it was before saving. Even more so, additional editing/cropping and compression just worsens image quality further. Therefore, if there's a JPEG version of an image, please do not compress it.
As far as PNG files go, optimization using OptiPNG or the like are okay, but if there are useful metadata tags (dates, original filename, artist, etc), try to leave them intact. As much as I love Paint.NET, it strips this metadata, so cropping in that wouldn't be good for images with that data.--immewnitythemew 08:27, 2 January 2013 (PST)
- No problem!--immewnitythemew 14:05, 3 January 2013 (PST)
Response.--immewnity (talk) 19:51, 15 January 2013 (PST)
For categories, don't add the games included, as they will already be mentioned in Subcategories.--immewnity (talk) 16:39, 20 January 2013 (PST)
No problem! Whenever you feel ready. :D --immewnity (talk) 07:46, 21 January 2013 (PST)
- I guess so.--immewnity (talk) 03:46, 23 January 2013 (PST)
RE: Unused Hatted Kong.
If the character doesn't have an official name it should be categorized by what is known about it, so just leave the "|characters=" blank.--Da braviary (talk) 13:59, 27 February 2013 (PST)
Please check your email.--immewnity (talk) 04:06, 19 March 2013 (PDT)
Late Reply: MarioWiki
Yep. Sorry it took so long to reply, I barely come here. Red (talk) 10:24, 20 March 2013 (PDT)
RE: Categories question/suggestions.
YoshiKong, to answer your question on categorization, character pages and other subsets of each series should be put under “Category:Game-series series characters” (ex: Category:Mario series characters and Category:Mario series games), then categorize those under the series category. This allows for large lists without clogging the gallery. We will (hopefully) put together a guide in the future.--Da braviary (talk) 15:55, 22 March 2013 (PDT)
It goes on their talk page. —★Pika3323 15:15, 24 March 2013 (PDT)
Got a question from Shibatamiyawata: "What's the PidgiWiki rule on spoilers? Some of the Layton art does use correct names, but they spoil the plot knowing them. For example, Clive is known as Future Luke until the climax of the story, hence this would be a big spoiler: http://www.pidgi.net/wiki/File:Clive_-_Professor_Layton_and_the_Unwound_Future.png "
Thoughts?--immewnity (talk) 20:40, 24 March 2013 (PDT)
Re: Wing Mario
Still Nintendo France. You have to convert color spaces from CMYK to RGB. Else, it looks wonky.--immewnity (talk) 08:23, 28 March 2013 (PDT)
- It doesn't appear that GIMP has CMYK support yet, or at least not color space conversion.--immewnity (talk) 08:26, 28 March 2013 (PDT)
- Yeah. I believe those were RGB already.--immewnity (talk) 08:39, 28 March 2013 (PDT)
To answer your question, if an artwork is shared across multiple games it should be categorized only under the first appearance of the artwork. (But if any alterations are made to the artwork in another game, that artwork, should be categorized under the name of the game it was altered in)
As for your other question, no.--Da braviary (talk) 12:34, 28 March 2013 (PDT)
Upload both of them as alternate files. This way, there's the non-scanned and the scanned versions for people to decide between.--immewnity (talk) 03:49, 11 April 2013 (PDT)
- I personally don't have a need for them.--immewnity (talk) 10:52, 11 April 2013 (PDT)
Did you make the wiki its pretty good. --N64dude (talk) 06:02, 13 April 2013 (PDT)
Yes, it's just like the categorization system for systems(if that makes any sense) for categorizing pages, so we don't have a large list of games clogging the series pages.
Only use [[____ series games]] on the a games pages only-ish, not in the info box. For an example Animal Crossing series-I hoped that helped. --Da braviary (talk) 17:26, 15 May 2013 (PDT)
For right now, don’t reupload files with cropping or compression. If you upload a new file, feel free, but otherwise it just adds more stress to the server. Thanks!--immewnity (talk) 17:34, 12 June 2013 (PDT)
Did we manage to save any of them? The Assets Library is changing things again.
Please try and refrain from uploading PSD's, try and convert them to jpg/png first! Thanks —★Pika3323 22:18, 21 November 2013 (UTC)
Hey. I found them on this site: www.thevideogamegallery.com. It has some Mario artworks, but apart from the ones I uploaded it seemed like they're all here already.
There's also something I wanted to ask you (to do). Since you're an admin, could you move the current featured media from "MagiKoopa" to the correct "Magikoopa"? I guess it's a pretty minor thing, but since this wiki is all about images I think the name should be fixed. Aokage (talk) 22:06, 16 December 2013 (UTC)
Look at what I found!!
We finally have a big version!--immewnity (talk) 12:37, 9 August 2015 (UTC)
- Hey dude, got an email that my talk page had changed. That is really awesome! I'm reminiscing in the days when I was checking out all the press pages, folder directories (dang Spain and France) and goodness knows where else for that particular artwork. It's a long time coming!
- I've really been focusing on finishing high school lately. I'm doing really well so far, final exams are in November. I'm pledging to get back into artwork hunting with you dude. It's been a very suppressed passion for the past couple of years, unfortunately.
- YoshiKong (talk · edits) 13:20, 9 August 2015 (UTC)
- All is well! Final exams in November? What kind of sorcery is that? :D Focus on school work, it's definitely worth it. I'm heading back in a few weeks, so I'm hoping the next couple weeks I'll be able to get this thing over 12,000. Hope to see you soon!--immewnity (talk) 03:04, 10 August 2015 (UTC)
Re: Filling the "Set" descriptor
Yeah, looks like the entries were done accidentally (series was put in set and subseries was put in series). Thanks for catching that! --immewnity (talk) 20:58, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
Re: Response from MarioWiki
Hi. No, just archives from the FTP. I've tried to gain access, but no luck. It turns out that my conversion (using PSDParse or Adobe Creative Cloud) displays light in Google Chrome, but dark in paint.net and your conversion displays dark in both. I wonder which is correct? How does the "dark look" compare to how the PSD displays when opened in photoshop? --Hiccup (talk) 15:51, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
- The PidgiWiki FTP - ask Immewnity. Very strange. --Hiccup (talk) 16:07, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
- I asked on Superuser, and someone suggested that I converted the image to use the sRGB "mode". I did that using GIMP, and now the PSD seems to produce "true color" images with all export/conversion methods. Now all I need is a method to batch convert PSDs to sRGB. --Hiccup (talk) 18:41, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
Categorization definitely needs some improvement. Your proposal looks good, but I'm wondering if it might be easier to finish the implementation I was working on of Semantic MediaWiki - it really makes all of the organizing a lot easier. For example, here's a list of artwork by Ken Sugimori for Pokémon games on the Nintendo DS, sorted by game name. It's very powerful, but not currently set up well for images. It might be easier to write documentation for this system instead.
Regarding the alternating colors, it looks good, but needs more padding. Also, use classes extensively, and put all the CSS in MediaWiki:Common.css (which I think you have access to).--immewnity (talk) 15:29, 27 October 2016 (UTC)
- Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about your message regarding categorization, I've just been too busy to do anything with the website! (gotta love final exams)--immewnity (talk) 12:03, 14 November 2016 (UTC)
- No clue there - feel free to compress.--immewnity (talk) 01:01, 19 November 2016 (UTC)
Re: SMA2 JP logo
Please do. --Hiccup (talk) 09:37, 28 November 2016 (UTC)
I was wondering if it was allowed to upload images of techniques or moves. Also, do we only focus on games or is it broader than that? --Rachin123 (talk) 06:16, 1 December 2016 (UTC)
Re: Nintendo Spain archive
I've downloaded it, thanks. Could you give me some info on this archive? "Where it is from", "what it is called" etc. --Hiccup (talk) 15:01, 19 December 2016 (UTC)
Ask and you shall receive. :) --immewnity (talk) 19:24, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
When you say in your source of the image "Nintendo Australia", where is it from? Do they have a press website? Nintandi (talk) 17:43, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- But I can't find the URL... Can you share it with me please? Nintandi (talk) 00:24, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
- Can I have the URL anyway? Nintandi (talk) 12:03, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
- Well, I give up. I don't know how to get an account in this. I'm gonna stop bothering you with that. Thank you anyway! Nintandi (talk) 17:36, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
Super Mario Sunshine press kit dumped by Dracarys
Do you still have the Super Mario Sunshine press kit dumped by Dracarys (you uploaded a Bullet Bill artwork from it). The links are down, but for some reason I didn't keep this one. --Hiccup (talk) 19:03, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Its okay, he reuploaded it to ObscureGamers. --Hiccup (talk) 11:12, 7 December 2017 (UTC)
Re: Wing Mario
Yes, it's official transparency. It's not great though 😂 --immewnity (talk) 20:14, 6 September 2020 (UTC)
- In cases like that, yeah, it's fine to upload multiple versions. I'll take a look back at the source file for Wing Mario - Super Mario 64.png and see if it's true transparency or an added layer mask - if the latter, I might just upload it maskless. --immewnity (talk) 02:13, 8 September 2020 (UTC)